G’day Faithful Followers! As you’ll be well and truly aware by now, I was in Melbourne, Victoria for a few days for the 2014 Australia/Melbourne Grand Prix (click on the link for that post). I had planned my trip down to Melbourne around doing photography work the Grand Prix, which didn’t eventuate, so that gave me an extra couple of days to take the opportunity to do a little bit of sight-seeing in Melbourne while I was there. I hadn’t been to Melbourne for well over 8 years, and 2002 was the last time I was there for anything other than work (consequently the last time I’d been to the Melbourne Grand Prix).
It was good to “be a traveler” in Melbourne, do a bit of exploring and see more of what the city had to offer, managed to see quite a bit of the city which was good. I even managed to catch a couple of hours of the Sheffield Shield Cricket match between Victoria and Queensland at the iconic MCG which was interesting, I can’t image what the atmosphere must be like for a Australian International match. I’ll kick into this blog post with some of the photos I took around Melbourne from my few days of exploring.
Random Fireworks Display over the Yarra River
Melbourne’s City lights reflection in the Yarra
Crown Casino Fire Show
Melbourne at Night
Melbourne’s Skyline during the day
Rod Laver Arena
Down the Yarra River
Flinders Street Station
Sunset over Melbourne’s Southbank and Docklands area.
That about sums up my exploring of Melbourne, and it probably has a lot more to offer, but since I was there for the Australian Grand Prix, I spent most of my time out at Albert Park. Anyway here are a few tips I picked up for traveling to Melbourne. You can find more of my photos here – store.vandersyde.com/Travel/Melbourne-Australia-2014
Tips for Traveling to Melbourne
- Both of Melbourne’s Airports are a decent way out of the city. The easiest way to get into the city from Melbourne’s Tullamarine Airport (which is the international and main domestic airport) is to use the Skybus, it’ll take you from the airport to Southern Cross Station on Spencer Street, right in the heart of Melbourne. For more information about the Skybus check out there website – www.skybus.com.au
- Public transport is a breeze in Melbourne but especially the Trams. Make sure you get yourself a Myki card to use the transport system, but it is really straight forward to follow having a look at the maps. For more information check out the Public Transport Victoria website – ptv.vic.gov.au
- That all said, Melbourne is a pretty easy to city to walk around, the CBD, Southbank and Docklands are all and easy 15 minute walk from each other. It’ll only take you about 25 mins to walk from the CBD down the Yarra to the MCG, Rod Laver Arena and the rest of the Olympic Park complex.
- Crown Casino has a Fire Display every hour (on the hour) from dusk till 11pm, from what I’ve worked out. It only lasts about 5 minutes but its interesting to see. The best place to view from would be from the Sea Life Aquarium on the opposite side of the Yarra.
- If you’re looking for a night out then the Southbank area is the place to go, there is a massive selection of restaurants, cafes, and bars stretching from the Eureka Tower all the way down to the DFO Shopping Center. Definitely not a place to go if you are looking for something cheap to eat, but there is a wide variety of food and prices, the most expensive being around the Crown Casino.
Anyway that’s enough about my Melbourne trip, If you would like to know more or would like to ask me a question, get in touch with me via social media – Twitter,Facebook or Google+. Alternatively head over to my Contact Me page. Feel free to share this post with any of your friends heading to Melbourne soon.